Monday, July 28, 2014

BUS576-5


Individual Assignment 5

            The concept that change does not need to take a long time or difficulty was interesting to me.  I thought, before this week, that change in an organization would take a good amount of time.  After reading the chapter Change or Die, I realized that the points made are valid and make logical sense.  If people are given deadlines they usually wait until that deadline.  If you use a sense of urgency then people will tend to make the change faster.  This allows an organization to implement changes in a faster manner.   Kotter also discusses the sense of urgency when making changes in a business as well.  He also states that people who are resistant to change, no matter who they are in the organization, keep them out of the process.  The importance of this is because, as Kotter states, those people will do damage to the change process.  They will eventually hurt you more rather than help you at all.  The only problem that I see with this is that some processes may take time to develop and implement.  Therefore it may not be as easy to get them done in a short period of time. 

 

                                         

The concept of being you at work I found to be another helpful point.  The two examples from the book that stood out to me were about Libby Sartain and Southwest.  Some companies did not like Sartain to display her real personality because they thought that it was not professional or did not suit their organization.  In essences, she became someone else when she went to work.  Coincidently, Sartain worked at Southwest for some time and is currently at Yahoo.  Southwest has an environment where it embraces their employees personal lives.  Perhaps this is why Sartain fit in at this company.  Southwest has no problem with intercompany relationships and tries to make the organization feel like a family atmosphere.  Although I enjoy the concept of feeling more comfortable at work, I do believe there still needs to be a level of professionalism.  Organizations still need to conduct business and cannot always be a relaxed setting similar to a person’s personal life. 

Beth Miller wrote, “The Successful Entrepreneur’s Secret Weapon-Employee Engagement,” which discusses a way for entrepreneurs to be successful in their business ventures.  Miller discusses that entrepreneurs get wrap up in their business ideas that they forget to engage their employees.  Keeping their employees happy can increase their productivity and help their business to grow.  Miller references studies that have been conducted to measure the relationship between workers’ engagement and an organization’s profitability.  The author also refers to some statistics that she acquired for Gallup.  A global research that analyzed forty companies over three years to show their profitability relevant to their employees’ engagement is mentioned as well in Miller’s article.  With this data that Miller collected, she provides steps that entrepreneurs can take to focus on employee engagement.  Miller did her research on the subject matter and the data in the article, in my opinion, would be evidence-based. 

This week’s session was a learning experience.  I am someone who resists change, this week’s discussions made me realize that I should try to embrace change more than I do.  Hofstede’s dimensions of organizational culture made me analyze my company that I work for and perhaps I should try to be more motivated at work then I currently am.  Overall the week was helpful and I enjoyed the readings and videos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment